Monday, June 23, 2008

She Speaks Out of the Shadows

She Speaks exceeded my expectations. The staff of Proverbs 31 Ministries and the speakers, volunteers and new friends, all blessed me. Let me share how the faith over fear journey, leading to She Speaks, culminated this weekend.

Despite knowing God brought me to the conference, I found myself asking Him on Saturday evening why I was there. He answered me through Renee Swope's message. Renee spoke of her battle with fear, doubt, and discouragement. When she asked God why the shadow of doubt was so big, He revealed she could only see the shadow because she turned away from the light.

Last week, doubt disheartened me. How could God use me if I had doubts? Not until Renee's message did I fully understand doubt does not disqualify you from being used by God. He sees beyond who we are to who we can become, as Renee said.

At the end of her message, Renee invited us to write down whatever was casting a shadow over us and trade it for a card with a word behind scripture. Overwhelmed by the revelation of how I blocked God's light by looking at the shadows, I wanted to flee from the truth. Instead, I watched woman after woman go to a cross in the room to lay down her doubts.

I exchanged my doubts for God's truth. The word on my card is "CHOSEN," and the verse reads, "For you are a chosen (woman). You are a royal priest, a holy (daughter). God's very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9

How fitting for God to call me out of the darkness of fear, doubt, discouragement and self-criticism at She Speaks. For whatever purpose, I am chosen. Whether through a book, magazine article, blog, note, or journal entry, I will use my writing to share the blessing of this weekend. "But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God." John 3:21

Blessings,

post signature

6 comments:

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

i just got your email and ran right over. :-)

i am so blessed by this post. i, too, lately have been experiencing doubts about my ability to write (and other things) and if i've lost my edge and so forth. but i am chosen...and that is what matters. CHOSEN...chosen!

so powerful...

KelliGirl said...

Michelle,
What a great post! Doubt is such a tool of the enemy!!! I agree at Saturday night was so powerful. I still get goosebumps and a lump in my throat when I think of it.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I too enjoyed meeting you. I'll check soon.

Blessings,
Kelli

Carol said...

That is some good stuff! I really enjoyed getting to meet you this weekend. I look forward to trading articles!

Lisa said...

Hey Michelle!

Loved these thoughts in this post. Good stuff.

I left you a comment back on my blog but wanted to come here to visit. :) I do so wish we had met at SheSpeaks. Bummer!

And I'm thrilled you are into the book. I have so prayed that God would speak loudly and specifically to every woman who reads the book. It is His book.

Blessings, friend!
Lisa :)

Amy L Brooke said...

Very cool. I'm sorry it took me all week to come back around but I'm glad that you it was a good weekend for you. I REALLY did enjoy meeting you. And you are CHOSEN by God.

Renee Swope said...

Hi there CHOSEN one!

I've been looking for your blog since She Speaks. It was so good to meet you! Your face/heart stayed with me all the way home and I've been hoping I could stop by just to say hello!

I just wanted to say that you are precious in His sight and that He loves you. I so appreciate your taking the time to talk with me and share your heart/story. I love that God knew just what we all needed to hear on Saturday night. That message was HIS - every word of it!!

The verse He gave you is one of my favorite verses because it makes me feel loved and "choses" by Him - He has called me out of the shadows of doubt, fear, and discouragement into the amazing Light of His Love!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Renee

PS.I am praying for Him to lead you to the perfect new job, too!