Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Yes to God Study - Week 4

This week, Lelia's study of Lysa TerKeurst's book, What Happens When Women Say Yes to God, covers Chapter 4: You Never Know How God will Use You. Lelia's comments highlight a message I have been receiving throughout the past week:

Keep your focus on God rather than yourself.

Lelia said sometimes the pursuit of God is tiring. Oh, how I can relate. My blog has been quiet recently because I have been on a journey of introspection, seeking God's guidance.

The office where I work may close. This is time of unexpected change and uncertainity. If I focus on me, what I see or do not see, I may rapidly swirl in a whirlpool of worry. I can speculate what may happen. I can fret about searching for a job in a recessed economy. I can stress over the unknown. If I turn my focus to God, there is no need to worry. I know I can trust that He has a plan and will use me in ways I never imagined.

Lysa's statement on page 70

".....people don't care to meet my Jesus until they meet the reality of Jesus in me."

stood out for me more than anything else in this chapter. People often do not consider how their actions can drown out the truth of their words. They may be speaking the word of God but living in a manner that does not align with scripture. It can build a wall of hypocrisy blocking another's path to Jesus.
At times, I have felt ill-equipped to minister to others because I do not have enough scripture memorized "or all the answers to religious questions," as Lysa says on page 13. It is encouraging to realize I can have an impact through my actions by living in a manner that reflects God's presence. This study is such a blessing. Be sure to visit Lelia's blog to see what God is doing in the lives of other women.

5 comments:

Lelia Chealey said...

Michelle,
This was really good! I'm so glad you're sharing what God is showing you. We are all just learning this YES thing together & it has been awesome to read the hearts of other women.
I loved what you wrote in your last paragraph~"It is encouraging to realize I can have an impact through my actions by living in a manner that reflects God's presence."
AMEN Michelle,AMEN!
Blessings,
Lelia

MrsProverbs31 said...

I agree. Actions speak louder than words. We can claim as much as we want but if our actions don't support our claim, we are going no where. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us today.

Liz said...

Amen, Michelle. I know many times my actions have drowned out my words, and what an awful feeling it is when I realize it! May I live in a manner that reflects the reality of Jesus in my life! Yes! Yes!
Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this... I will need to go check it out.

Carol said...

This is one of my favorite books. It's some good stuff. Hope you are doing well! :) Happy Monday!