Thursday, February 28, 2008

Perspective

In 2006, I quit my "dream" job to move closer to extended family and to spend more time with my husband and daughter. My job was not my identity, but some of my identity was in my job. It was a more difficult transition than I anticipated.

When we moved, I did not have clear direction on what I would be doing. I knew I needed a sense of purpose in whatever I did. For almost two years, I struggled to find that sense of purpose. I wanted a plan; I like plans.

During this time, I often analyzed how every little thing might fit into a plan. What could it mean? Where might it lead? What should I do next? I began to realize my purpose could not be fulfilled through my plans. I had to change my perspective.

One of my favorite illustrations of perspective is from a scene in the comedy Analyze This, starring Billy Crystal. His character is a psychiatrist, Dr. Sobel. In the scene, three men in black suits enter Dr. Sobel's office or home. They identify themselves as Agents from the "Federal Bureau Of Investigation, OCD." Dr. Sobel asks, "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?" (From his point of view, the acronym represented a psychiatric condition.) The Agent replies, "Organized Crime Division."

Perspective can be defined as a particular evaluation of a situation or facts, especially from one person's point of view. Trying to assess my future from my view was the source of much of my struggle. I have found peace in seeking God's guidance each day. Instead of trying to plan where I am going, I trust God to take me there.

How about you? Can you identify an area in your life that could be positively impacted by changing your viewpoint? Did altering your perspective help your assessment of your circumstances? I would love to hear about it.

1 comment:

Amy Wyatt said...

Oh Michelle, I can so identify with this. After Spencer was born, I had to leave my full time job when he was 10 months old to be able to take him to physical, occupational and speech therapy several times a week. My plans were not God's plans. I had to definitely change my perspective... but I wouldn't change it for the world. Anything He has planned for me and for Spencer is so much better than anything I could ever imagine or plan for us. Thanks for coming by my site and commenting. Hope you will come back again.