Thursday, February 14, 2008

Would you like fries with your boneless person?

Imagine you are a teenager taking orders at the drive through window of a fast food restaurant. You turn on the speaker to take someone's order, and you hear this:

Child, "What does boneless chicken wings mean?"

Woman, "Chicken that doesn't have any bones, like nuggets."

Child, "Do all people have bones? Because there was a boy on T.V. with no bones."

Woman, "Yes, all people have bones. I was talking about the chicken being boneless."

Child, "I wasn't talking about the chicken. There was a boy on T.V. with no bones."

Woman, "Okay, I don't think so. People are not boneless, but we need to decide what to order."

Child, now talking over her mother, insisting not all people have bones.

Woman, "We can talk about it in a minute. Do you want chicken or a biscuit? We need to order. People are waiting. Let's just get biscuits. (Towards the speaker to order) That will be two egg and cheese biscuits and a medium sweet tea."

Somehow, the young lady was able to hear the order in all this. I wonder if she actually heard everything we were saying. If so, was she really puzzled? She did not hear the conversation continue while we waited for our order.

Me, "I'm not sure what you are talking about on T.V., but I don't think people can live without bones."

My daughter, "Mommy, the boy on T.V. did not have any bones."

Me, "I'm not sure about that."

My daughter, "Mommy, I'm telling you. It's true; the man said the boy had no bones."

Me, "Okay." I could tell I was not going to win this argument. I guess it is okay that she thinks some people have no bones. I would love to know what she is talking about.

I did a google search for "boy has no bones." There was a story about a 12-year-old boy in Vietnam. He can twist his body in such a way that some people think he must be boneless. Could this be what she heard? Oh, to be in a child's mind.

No comments: