Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Yes to God Study - Week 8


Chapter 8 (Giving Up What Was Never Ours) of Lysa TerKeurst's book, What Happens When Women Say Yes to God discusses how we are managers, not owners, of God's resources. I encourage you to click on the button above and visit Lelia's blog to read what God is doing through this study.

I learned the most from the section titled "The Blessings of a Sacrificial Life." Lysa talks about the opportunities and joy in sacrificial living. "Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence (1 John 3:18-19)." I love The Message translation of the verse.

My dear children, let's not just talk about love; let's practice real love. This is the only way we'll know we're truly living, living in God's reality. It's also the way to shut down debilitating self-criticism, even when there is something to it. For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves. John 3:18-20 (MSG)

Practicing real love, serving others first, is sacrificial living. In reality, God is our source. Everything we have is His. When we present to God what we are holding in our hands, we are truly living. We can rest in His presence because He is in control.

Even if there is something to it, I can let go of the should haves. I should have focused more on saving money. I should have planned my career path better. I should have gotten a Master's degree. If I had, maybe I would be less concerned about losing my job during a recession; maybe it would be easier to find another job. MAYBE, if I had authority over my future.

Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Proverbs 3:5 (MSG)

God is greater than my worried heart. "For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT) I surrender my family's future to God. As I say yes to God, I set my heart at rest in His presence.

post signature

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there! I found you from Lelia's blog. I just love the Message version of these two verses! That is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

Prayers and Blessings!
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love that you found me through Lysa's great magazine. It's always great to make new friends!

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Michelle-I am right along with you on this one involving the future of our family. We have to rest in Him!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Anonymous said...

What wonderful verses! Thanks for sharing!